Kellyann Conway is leaving her role as Donald J. Trump’s press secretary on Friday after more than a year in the role.
The announcement comes just days after a day of dramatic changes for the first lady and one that saw President Donald Trump abruptly withdraw a key promise to his base.
Conway was supposed to deliver a major speech at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference on Friday night.
Instead, she will stay home for the weekend and is staying on in her role at the State Department.
“I have decided to step down from my position as White House Press Secretary,” Conway said in a statement.
“I will be focusing on my new role as an advocate for children and families.”
The announcement came as Trump made an abrupt exit from the White House and the president announced his intention to move to a new administration in a tweet on Friday afternoon.
“Congratulations to Kellyannd Conway, @KellyannePence and all the great staff who have worked so hard to turn our great White House into the greatest in the history of our country,” he wrote.
“We will all miss you!”
A day earlier, Conway had said she would be resigning, but did not say what would replace her role.
Conway’s departure came just days before Trump announced he was going to nominate her to be his secretary of state.
She had been expected to deliver the speech, but the president postponed it after she announced her resignation.
Trump and his aides were in an uproar after Conway announced in February that she would step down.
The move sparked widespread criticism and protests at the Women’s March on Washington, and Conway has been criticized for not holding back on her criticism of Trump.
On Friday, Trump said Conway was going “on a little bit of a hiatus” and would be staying on at the White the State Dept. and her office would be a “new team.”
“She’s going to be doing a little different than what she’s doing now, but we’re going to keep her there,” Trump said in an interview with NBC’s Meet the Press.
“She’s an advocate.
She’s an educator.
She knows a lot about kids.
She has a very good ability to bring people together.”
The White House later released a statement saying the president would stay on as a full-time president until his term ends in 2021.
“While I appreciate the President’s commitment to the country, I think that we need to find new ways to govern,” said Trump.
“And we have to find a way to make sure our policies are really focused on making America safe and secure and that people don’t lose their jobs.
We’ve got to be smart about that.
And we have a lot of work to do.
I know the President is going to do it.”
In February, Trump signed a bill that gave Conway a two-year waiver from the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) so she could continue to deliver her speeches.
However, the White house has argued that she was not exempt from FOIA as a White House employee.
The White house said in February the waiver granted her a “limited ability to use the official White House address to address the public and provide White House briefings.”
A White House official said Friday’s announcement did not change the status of Conway’s role at State.
“This is not a departure from her role,” the official said.
“It’s a very important part of her role.”
The State Department said in January that Conway would be able to deliver daily briefings but that she will not be able do so until 2021.